Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Wisdom of Agnes Grey

It is odd for me to be posting twice in one day; however, my computer currently does not have Internet access.... So I am employing my parent's computer. Back to the matter at hand --- I have been reading Agnes Grey for some time now, and I came upon a passage that is food for thought.

"...But if one civilized man were doomed to pass a dozens years amid a race of intractable savages, unless he had power to improve them, I greatly question whether, at the close of that period, he would not have become, at least, a barbarian himself" (p.96-97).

This simple statement may seem like common sense, but applied to every day life. Who are my friends? Who are my associates? Who am I around constantly?

This simple rule of Grey's is a great argument for homeschooling... With whom are my children constantly around? But not only for education, but church.... With what church am I associating? Are they true Christians? Can they build me up? Not only that, but reverse it... Am I one with which others would want to be associated? Can I build others up? Would I make them barbarians?

1 comment:

Kiri said...

What a great quote! I simply loved Agnes Grey when I read it. There were so many good points in it. It gave me a lot to think about. You make me want to read it again! But I don't have time. I'm trying to squeeze in all of Austen's novels before they show on PBS!