Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Abduction Club

When Shaela C. wrote on Facebook that she was watching the "BEST chick flick ever", my interest was piqued. Being a girl and never having watched the “BEST chick flick ever” was simply not to be born! I wasted no time in finding The Abduction Club on YouTube. I was pleased and excited to find another movie I would love to add to my collection.

The younger sons in England have a terrible problem. They will inherit no estates; they are forced to either earn a living or marry a lady of property and wealth. Our leading men, Burns and Strand, are some just young men who lack an estate. Being men of low ambition, they join the Abduction Club. As members, they help one another kidnap eligible young ladies and ask them to wed. What follows is a delightful romp in absurdity and hilarity.

The kidnappers are pursued around the country by the jealous rival, Mr. Power, and the English redcoats. The ladies are a trial by themselves. Anne is delighted to be away from Mr. Power, while Catherine keeps trying to escape. All the while, Burns is trying to woo Catherine to his side. Strand just wants to convince Anne that he isn’t predictable. Not to mention that a ruffian has made them wanted for murder…

Despite Burns’ and Strand’s selfish beginning, we see them grow into men of honor and character. The two young ladies who are cursed (perhaps blessed?) to find themselves kidnapped are humbled and are formed into sacrificing women.

This story is undoubtedly absurd. There is no doubt about it. However, I found myself lost in the story. The kidnaps of the ladies, the chases by the soldiers, the escapes from the horrid Mr. Power, the duel, and final ending all thrilled me. If you need a diversion that is frivolous, but nonetheless endearing find The Abduction Club on YouTube. Or if you’re brave enough… buy a copy from Ebay. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

2 comments:

Kiri said...

I'm not ready to call it the BEST chick-flick ever, but it is funny! I love Sophia Myles. She's great in Oliver Twist, too.

Hannah Moss said...

Great post, Laura! :-)