Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Open mouth insert foot

I know I have blogged on this subject before (see - Bite my Tongue), but the past few days seem to be nothing but a succession of empty nothings that exit my mouth. One thing I said turned out to have a very bad slang meaning -- sometimes I really hate modern culture! Another thing I said wasn't meant to be insulting -- but after thinking about it, I realized how awful it really was. Today, I said something in a class discussion that my classmates may not consider vulgar, but "crap" is not something that I want to go down in history for saying.

All these incidents play again and again in my mind... What can I do? I consider the words of the Apostle James:
James 3:8-10
But no one can tame the tongue; {it is} a restless evil {and} full of deadly poison. With it we bless {our} Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come {both} blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.


My prayer echoes Paul's letter to the Ephesians:
Ephesians 4:29
Let no unwholesome word proceed from [my] mouth, but only such {a word} as is good for edification according to the need {of the moment,} so that it will give grace to those who hear.
All quotations of scripture are NASB via blueletterbible.org

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Love the 'silence is golden. Ductape is silver' quote! I know what ya mean. Words can be very powerful.

~ Hannah

Laura said...

Hannah! Good to hear from you. Did you get my email about Facebook? Are you on Facebook yourself?

Hannah said...

Hey Laura! No, I didn't get your email, but I did change my email address back in July/August. I will send it to you.