Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Prayer of a Homemaker

O Father, may I keep this house today
In pleasing cleanliness and quiet display
Of order, but not in neatness so severe
That my family can find no comfort here.
Help me create, O God, a sense of charm
That fosters, here, contentment - deep and warm.
May I wisely portion strength my whole day through
And not complain if there seems much to do,
Yet not be so absorbed in any task
That time will fail me if my children ask
Small favors. If I must reprove, dear Lord,
Then let it be with softly spoken word.
Should friction try to raise its noisy head,
Enable me to bring forth peace instead;
And if at times my work seems commonplace,
May I know its worth in every happy face,
Nor even count these hours as drudgery
But as a privilege... I ask of Thee.

- Lucy Biggs

This wonderful piece of wisdom was shared with me by a godly woman in my church. She has since gone home. Thanks to Mrs. Hard for this beautiful poem.

No comments: