Saturday, March 8, 2008

Deafness Project

Today, I experienced a very (VERY) small portion of a deaf person's life. I pretended to be deaf for a couple of hours. Never in my life have I felt so helpless; I was cut off from most of the world. Most of the people I encountered didn't know what to do with me. Some were polite, some were rude, and some were very kind. But, at the end I realized I have much to be thankful for... I can communicate very easily. God has given me a great blessing; one that I often forget. Spending hours not speaking and pretending to be deaf can have a very eye opening effect.

6 comments:

Tricia said...

Was it a school assignment, Laura? Did others know that you were only pretending?

Laura said...

Yes, it was for a school assignment; I have to write a paper about it.

I think I fooled people... It was a very weird feeling... I felt cut off from everyone else. But it did give me some good material for my paper.

Tricia said...

I'd be very interested in reading your paper whenever you're finished...if you'd want to share it. :) It sounds absolutely fascinating.

Laura said...

Sure, I don't mind sharing. I hope you won't be too disapointed in my writing skills... I'm not a great writer. :P

Tricia said...

I won't mind. :) Even though I'm not the best writer either, I love writing--especially diary entries. ;) My email's misstriciamoss@yahoo.com, if you didn't already have it. :D

Kiri said...

What a fascinating project! We so easily take our blessings for granted...