Monday, May 12, 2008

Peace & Submission (part 1)


Okay! I am finally back on my blog. Finals week was somewhat stressful, but by the grace of God I made it through. WOW! I am halfway through college. Hard to believe. The girl who never really cared to go is ½ done.

Thinking back on this semester and the semesters before it, I marvel at the providence and peace of God. He does such amazing things! When I was a little girl, going to college was always assumed… Everyone went to college. It was normal. Once my family started homeschooling, normal was no longer the norm. But we really didn’t care, my parents were following what they believed was God’s best plan for our family. My brother and I were schooled in English, Algebra, History, etc. But even more importantly we grew in the faith.

As I was finishing high school (and even before) I realized what a blessing my mother’s sacrificial work had been for me. When the rest of the world was off to work sending their children to school, she was downstairs/just down the hall/or at the table explaining Geometry to me. What more could I ask for? An ever better question: What more could I do for my future children? God had placed an incredible calling on my heart. Could I serve my future husband and children the way my mother had served me?
So, you’re asking yourself what does this have to do with your college experience… Well, be patient I’m getting there… Finishing high school was a great experience, but as Dad reminded me homeschooling is not just 1st – 12th grade, it is a lifestyle choice. One that by God’s grace I pray that I am continuing. But, my parents both wanted me to attend college. What?! The norm of my childhood didn’t seem so normal anymore… I didn’t want to go through 4 more years of school, and I didn’t want to deal with Professors and students. Despite my excellent reasoning skills *grins*, my parents insisted that I try WVU.

“Fine! But I don’t have to like it.” My first week at WVU was a nightmare! I was so stressed… It had been so long since I had been in a school… though my class mates & teachers all thought I was so poised. They couldn’t see that I was shaking on the inside. During that first week, I remember sitting talking with my Dad. As I spoke through my tears about how much I didn’t enjoy this strange place, Daddy gave me the most precious gift: He told me if I didn’t want to attend WVU, I didn’t have to… College wasn’t a requirement of his, I could stop going if it wasn’t for me. However, I couldn’t know whether or not it was for me in one week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when you first started school. Describing your teachers and telling me how much you hated it made me nervous about starting school.

College attendance was assumed in my family as well. I had always looked forward to college, but graduation and seeing you go changed my perspective. I became nervous, fearing that I would do poorly and give the homeschooling community a black eye. Unlike you, I still wanted to go to college. This was fortunate, because my parents would have made me go all four years anyway.:)

~Dee