Monday, May 12, 2008

Peace & Submission (part 2)

Alright, I told myself… I can suffer through a couple of weeks, then I can quit. Little did I know how God would use this experience in my life. By the third week of school I had settled in and now I don’t look back. Sharing my faith, meeting new people, and making new friends are just some of the blessings I have experienced at WVU. (Not to mention learning some fascinating subjects). Submission is never easy. My rebellious will tells me: “Do it your own way! You know best!” Sound familiar? Doesn’t it sound like a certain serpent in the garden? But this submitting to my parents gave me so many gifts. The peace of God surrounds my heart about college.

Before the peace came, God put a desire in my heart. At the end of my first semester as a freshman, I received an email from my Biology 101 professor asking me (and several other students) if we would consider working for her and helping with a bio 101 class. What an opportunity! But, as I thought about it more, I realized I couldn’t work with a department that taught evolution as fact. I couldn’t be a part of something that went so directly against my faith. This experience did create a desire to work with the University, however. Little did I know that one semester later, I would be receiving an email from the Computer Science department offering me a proctor’s job. Isn’t it wonderful the way God places desires in our hearts to later fulfill them. God took Adam and had him name all the animals. While Adam looked at all these animals, he realized that there was none like him… God place the desire for a “helper suitable” before fulfilling that desire. God is in control, and his providence astounds me. His perfect timing and planning are something for which I should always thank Him.

At the beginning of this semester, I once again felt the desire to quit school. “Why I am here, God? Why can’t I be somewhere else?” As the semester progressed, I continued to work with the Computer Science department, and I gained peace about college again… I had allowed my own thinking and plan for my life to distract me from what God had planned. Instead of enjoying what God has given me now, I wanted the future to be here. I was questioning God’s own perfect design. But, God used different people at school to bring me back to His feet. I am now content… God’s peace surpasses all understanding.

The girl who once questioned her parent’s wisdom concerning school, now eagerly awaits the next semester and the challenges it brings. Learning to submit has been a huge lesson for me in my college experience. Submitting not only to my parents, but ultimately to my Creator who is the Master designer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that you felt like quitting school this semester too. You seemed so ready that you fooled me.

Watching the way the Lord is working in your life is a great source of encouragement. While I have the "head knowledge" that God has greater plans than I (or anyone else) can imagine, I struggle to actually submit to and trust Him. Learning of experiences like yours helps bring this important principle to mind and provides the opportunity to evaluate that area of my Christian walk. Seeing isn't believing, but it definitely has benefits. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.:)

~Dee