Saturday, July 26, 2008

Trip around the World

Most of you who know my family well know that we have lots of eccentric phrases... One of them is a "Trip around the World." On Friday, July 18th, my family and I went on a trip around the world. Yes, it sounds absurd, but ever since I was a little girl, my grandfather and his older brother (my Uncle Clinton) would take trips all over to visit relatives. Grandpa would always call these travels "trips around the world." One particular trip, in my mind, was given that name. The trip where Grandpa would go see the house where his mother was born, the house where his father was born, his parents' first home together, and the graveyard where his siblings were buried. Several years ago, Grandpa took Mom, Daniel, and me on this trip. But it had been so long I couldn't remember everything. Being a avid historian, I wanted to take the trip again... to see places where my great grandfather and great grandmother walked as children. Dad and I took the morning off; we all piled into the van and left on 1-79 south.

My 1st cousin twice removed (meaning she's my grandpa's cousin) owns the house where my great-grandmother was born. In fact, we believe the area around Grace's house was named for great-grandma's family: The Doak's. I loved visiting with Grace and her brothers, Harry and Kenneth. They all told wonderful stories, and Grace is a wonderful cook!


From there we went up a very narrow path to the graveyard, great-grandpa and great-grandma were firmly committed to being "fruitful and multiplying." They had 15 children!! At the graveyard, we saw graves of the three children that didn't make it to adulthood but died as little children. We also found my great-grandmother's parents' graves.


Then it was off to great-grandpa's birthplace... we visited more with Harry and Kenneth. Walked the road where, at night, my great-grandpa would run up the hill to pick his father tobacco. We saw the place where my great-grandparents' first home once stood.



After saying goodbye to Harry and Kenneth, we drove a little ways to another graveyard looking for great-great-grandfather Powell's grave. We found it: Elkanah Pendelton Powell. When his mother first moved to WV, she donated all the lumber she had to build her home to the Baptist church. They needed somewhere to worship. Wow! What a story.

I had a wonderful time following in my ancestor's footsteps... To see how God has blessed my family. I can't wait to go back again.

No comments: