Friday, January 18, 2008

Hobbit Soup

Tobold Hornblower's Shire Soup
Serves 3-6

Ingredients:
  • Olive Oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • ½ onion
  • 2 cans garbanzo beans -- drained but save the liquid
  • 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves or bay leaves (shredded)
    1/8 stick of butter
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup grated Cheese -- I add two cups; the cheesier the better
  • Pepper/Salt (to taste) -- my recipe never actually adds these. :P
  • Handful of capers (if wanted) -- I never use these…

  1. In a deep frying pan, fry up olive oil, garlic, and onion. Add garbanzo beans (not the liquid). Heat for an additional 5-7 minutes.

  2. Shred up baby spinach leaves; add to frying pan. Add 1/8 stick of butter, after butter is melted, add the two cans of bean liquid and the ½ water. Heat for a few minutes (at least I did), then add ½ cup grated cheese. Add capers.

  3. Bring to a boil, while stirring intermittently, then let simmer for 5 minutes.

Note: This soup can be stored in a crock pot and reheated within 2 ½ hours.

2 comments:

Kiri said...

Mmmm! I love this soup! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Laura! I can't wait to make it!