Thursday, January 17, 2008

Middlemarch

Do any of you have a book sitting on your self that you’ve had for years, but you’ve never read it? Maybe you’ve started it; however, you just can’t seem to finish it (Or maybe even reach the halfway point.) Such is the case for me in Middlemarch by George Elliot. I was told by some that if I got past the first hundred pages, that I could finish it with no problems. That, sadly, was not true.

Luckily for me, I found out there is a Masterpiece Theater adaptation that is quite good. Very recently, I was informed that Barnes & Noble has an excellent selection of period pieces. After shopping there yesterday, what did I find but a copy of Middlemarch. (I think B&N has become my one stop shop for DVD’s!)

Last night, I started viewing this extensive story -- 7 hours! The story begins with a certain Dr. Lydgate who has come to the town of (you guessed it!) Middlemarch with the intention of making it the medical capital of England. But his story is not the only one… Dorothea Brooke, affectionately called Dodo, is one of the resident's of Middlemarch. She wishes to do something great with her life. Recognizing the blessings she possesses, Dodo wants to share them with others. Her sister Celia and Uncle Brooke cannot understand her plans. Especially when she will not marry Sir James Chettam, but chooses instead to accept the marriage proposal of the supposedly brilliant (and decidedly old) Rev. Casaubon. Believing she would make a perfect help-meet for the gentleman, Dorothea plans how she will read to him, copy his notebooks, and generally help his calling. For the wedding journey, the couple travels to Rome, where Dorothea realizes that Rev. Casaubon does not expect her to use her gifts, but merely to be an ornament -- even one Casaubon will do nothing with. Still, Dorothea hopes to do something good with her life. While in Rome, Dorothea meets a Mr. Will Ladislaw -- the cousin of Rev. Casaubon. Will is poor because of a family injustice that Casaubon has never fully righted (and will not hear of righting) A friendship is quickly struck between Dorothea and Will (in regards to protecting Casaubon), but Casaubon is jealous and mistrusts his good cousin's intentions. After their return to Middlemarch, Casaubon refuses to let his cousin in the house. Will does like Dorothea, but has no bad intentions. He merely wishes to have independence -- something hard to come by in his poor situation. However, Casaubon dies shortly later, but not without a sting in his will -- Dorothea will lose everything if she marries Mr. Ladislaw.

But still this is not the whole of the story-- a Mr. Featherstone plans to give his nephew Fred Vincy 10,000 pounds upon his death. Being a man of terrible gambling debts, Fred needs the money to wed Mary Garth. But Mary will not have him unless he can make something decent and good of himself. Rosamund Vincy, Fred's sister, hopes to catch the eye of the new doctor, Lydgate. But, while he carries on a flirtation with her, he never seriously thinks of her.

These are the main stories, but it would not be Middlemarch without mentioning: Mr. Brooke’s run for Parliament, the pharisaical Mr. Bulstrode who owns half the town but has a dark history, and the Rev. Farebrother who is controversial figure and a rival suitor for Mary Garth’s hand. There is more than one union that brings to mind the old adage “marry in haste, repent at leisure.” The varied personalities of the townspeople also provide a rich colorful background for this masterpiece.

If there is one thing I would change about this adaptation, I would make the viewer understand Will and Dorothea’s relationship better. The viewer often feels that they should like each other, but it not quite sure why… I should mention this one caution though, my mother did not enjoy this story , and she was concerned whether justice was served in the end. I say this a disclosure only for I enjoyed the story very much. I would not hesitate to recommend this mini series to those who love period pieces. It is a long watching, but the story is worth the perseverance. This should spur me on to read the book!

1 comment:

Kiri said...

Oh, I've had problems getting through Elliot before, too. She can seem a little long winded and pointless at times. Sometimes her stories are worth it, but other times...

I'm so glad you liked Middlemarch. I'll have to see if I can find a copy. Are there any "friends" in the cast?