Saturday, September 25, 2010

Just what is a Palisade?

After some schedule rearranging, Cindy and I made a plan to me to visit and work with her kids on History. Though nervous (and excited), I set off praying that my time with the kids would be a blessing to them, a blessing to Cindy, and (selfishly) a blessing to myself.

And the day went beautifully! History was a blast. The lunch conversation was delightful, and the games were fun (at least for me ;).

Noah, Maggie, and I discussed colonial etiquette: "Do not invite yourself to someone's house. Do not give your advice unless asked for, then be brief." Did grammar: Their, There, or They're... And read books.

Evangelia, Jude, and I played the "PEG"gy Back game. Which is now my favorite game.

All of us played Star Wars. But, perhaps not the tradition version. There was discussion of whether Dooku's name was Darwin. :P

And I learned that pretzels are brain food. :)



Vocab for next week:
Palisade - a fence of pales or stakes set firmly in the ground, as for enclosure or defense.
Trencher -
a rectangular or circular flat piece of wood on which meat, or other food, is served or carved.
BBLS - DOES stand for barrels.

And what was that other word? Hopefully, the kids will remember.

I apologize for the poor picture quality. I forgot my camera. :(

1 comment:

Der Luchs said...

Looks like ya'll had a blast!

Mind if I ask what's your resource on colonial etiquette? On Jonathan's recommendation, I ordered "Washington's Sacred Fire" a few weeks ago, and it contains a reproduction of the etiquette book that Washington used as a child--"Rules of Civility and Decent Behaviour in Company and Conversation." Ever since, I've been voraciously consuming etiquette/moral character texts (e.g. the one on Lee), and I'd love to learn of any that I'm not aware of.