Monday, September 13, 2010

Learning to Be Joyful for His Name's Sake

"I have seen a limit to all perfection;
Your commandment is exceedingly broad."
Psalm 119:96


I’ve blogged about joy before but never like this...

It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of Sunday school… even in a time when it’s not popular in the broader Christian circles. Sunday school is a convicting, encouraging, and enlightening time for me. Learning from my elders or teaching my little ones is a blessed experience (who by-the-way, usually know the lesson before I teach it because of their covenant parents, but that's another blog post). Yesterday, the most prevalent element in the adult Sunday school was conviction.


The Larger Catechism’s explanation of the third commandment is beyond all my ideas about the Lord’s name…

Q. 113. What are the sins forbidden in the third commandment?
A. The sins forbidden in the third commandment are, the not using of God's name as is required; and the abuse of it in an ignorant, vain, irreverent, profane, superstitious, or wicked mentioning or otherwise using his titles, attributes, ordinances, or works, by blasphemy, perjury; all sinful cursings, oaths, vows, and lots; violating of our oaths and vows, if lawful; and fulfilling them, if of things unlawful; murmuring and quarreling at, curious prying into, and misapplying of God's decrees and providences; misinterpreting, misapplying, or any way perverting the word, or any part of it, to profane jests, curious or unprofitable questions, vain janglings, or the maintaining of false doctrines; abusing it, the creatures, or anything contained under the name of God, to charms, or sinful lusts and practices; the maligning, scorning, reviling, or any wise opposing of God's truth, grace, and ways; making profession of religion in hypocrisy, or for sinister ends; being ashamed of it, or a shame to it, by unconformable, unwise, unfruitful, and offensive walking, or backsliding from it.

Are you humbled yet? I was and am. The “murmuring and quarreling at” section spoke to my heart the most. Throughout my everyday existence, I am a great murmurer. (And yes, I know it’s not a word.) If there was a trophy for whining, I would win the championship. It’s nothing for which to be proud.

By whining, complaining, and wishing (for another time of life), I take the name of the Lord in vain. I profane the name by my sinful and wicked attitude. God’s sovereign providence is good, right, and holy. Who am I to question His plan? Who am I to criticize? With my attack, my disapproval, and my murmur, I place myself higher than God. I declare that I know the best "good" for my life. Therefore, I deny His word: “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28

It’s not only complaining about chores, work, and calling. What about people? Do I whine about my parents? My brother? My grandfather? My church? Yes. But, God has established these relationships. What do the scriptures say about God’s providence and complaints?

Elihu’s rebuke to Job rebukes me. "Why do you complain against Him That He does not give an account of all His doings?” Job 33:13

With this judgment, I speak Job’s words of weakness to God. "Behold, I am insignificant; what can I reply to You? I lay my hand on my mouth.” Job 40:4

Although life can be difficult, I should rejoice in what God has laid before me. Doing the laundry, the vacuuming, and the dishes… while studying, reading, and learning… in the relationships with family, friends, and co-workers. Will I keep this commandment perfectly? No. For as Paul says in Romans 7:15, “For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.” But I will by the grace of God “[fight] the good fight of faith” knowing the Jesus Christ will be the one to set me free from the “body of this death.” Therefore, my brothers and sisters, "Consider it all joy." Soli Deo Gloria.

7 comments:

Jean D'Albret said...

Very often, as we imagine a better world for ourselves, we treat the weaknesses of our brethren as obstacles to be swept out of the way as we march toward a fanciful perfection. When in fact, we are called to be "bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other" (Col. 3:13). In fact, we must take the world as we find it: fallen.

However, I say--with all respect to the teacher--that the lesson on Sunday neglected a very important corollary: "encourage one another and build one another up" (1Thes. 5:11). Sometimes this means telling a brother or sister, gently and out of love, his or her faults (Mt. 18:15), and sometimes it means exhorting (Heb. 3:13) and teaching and admonishing (Col. 3:16) one another, even though our brother or sister be a difficult student.

I don't mean to undermine any genuine convictions you have had. The lesson did speak rightly to our need to be content with what God gives to us. I also don't want to presume to remind you of anything that is not already known to you from your study of Scripture. But I am only advising: don't forget, in your conviction, that we still have the obligation to edify through gentle (not judgmental) correction.

Laura said...

Jean,

Thanks so much for your comment. I appreciate people who take the time to read my ramblings (especially those who comment!)

Okay, now for my response. *grins*

It was not my intent to have a "fanciful" or "perfect" view of the world. I know too much of my own sinful heart to imagine it... I'm sorry if I implied that I did. :O)

You are right. We should never let our brothers continue in destructive and harmful sin. I did not mean to suggest that our brother's weaknesses were "obstacles to be swept away." We are to "speak the truth in love" (Ephesians 4:15). And Praise God for brothers and sisters who do! But, our sinful attitudes towards the brethren can have nothing to do with their sin. My brother may be righteous one in the situation, and I am the one with the problem. Example: A parent who sets a curfew to protect a child, and the child complains to a friend. (Does that make sense?)

What I was attempting to address (Perhaps not very successfully!:D) was not my brother's behavior, but my attitude about his behavior and himself. Complaining, whining, or gossiping in private or with others is sinful (specifically blasphemous). 1 Peter 4:8 states, "Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins." We should first try to forgive our brother and move on before we approach him. It can be right and honorable to correct our brothers, but we must have the right attitude about it.

Just as the scripture teaches:
"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." (Matthew 7:3-5)

Once I have the proper attitude (knowing that God is in control and has placed my brother in my life for my good and His glory... and that my Savior died for this brother), then I can rightly address my brother's behavior. :-)

Thanks again for your comment. It caused me to think more about my convictions. "Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:7).

Oh -- and I should note, my Sunday school teacher could have addressed "correcting brothers in love" at the end of class. I missed the last 10 minutes. :)

Jean D'Albret said...

Laura,

No, you didn’t imply a "fanciful" or "perfect" view of the world—just the opposite. In my first paragraph I was trying to state agreement with your post, and agreement with the part of the teacher’s lesson that you felt convicted about. I’m sorry if I made it sound like I was challenging your position instead. My written communication isn’t always skillful.

I know for a fact your Sunday School teacher didn’t address correcting brothers in love, and that’s why I bring it up. (Meaning no disrespect to him, I say again.) I do understand that the main theme of your post regards your inward attitude (that comes across clearly, I assure you!). I only wanted to be sure that the teacher didn’t inadvertently discourage you from the edifying gift of exhortation (Rom. 12:8), which all of the members of the church are given in some measure (James 5:19-20).

I’m glad to have sharpened your iron, and to have been sharpened by yours! :-)

Laura said...

Jean,

Ok. :D Now I'm really curious! Should I know who you are?

Jean D'Albret said...

Laura,

Mm. So you're not convinced I have the apostolic gift of clairvoyance, eh? :-)

I'm just someone who thought there were certain weaknesses in the lesson, and who wanted to reassure myself that it was the lesson's strengths, and not its weaknesses, that had convinced your conscience.

Beyond that, I will only say that I have used a pseudonym because of the false impressions my real identity might create. I've left enough evidence to betray myself if you're curious enough to play a little Sherlock Holmes. But I'll leave that to your discretion.

Kim d'Kincell said...

Laura, I've also left evidence of who I really am ;-).

Thank you for sharing this post. I think this is excellent fodder for thought and very convicting no matter what season of life you're in. A woman is always moving through life reaching for the next thing whether it be marriage, when the baby will be born, when the baby will finally sleep through the night, when we will have raised said baby and it will turn out, how the illness will get resolved, and even when the next generation will then get married. Waiting is such an unending part of life that learning to trust in the Lord and lean not on our own understanding is an ongoing lesson for all of us! I'm still learning, and your post was encouraging to me! I, too, want to see my circumstances as they really are - gifts from God to sanctify me. Every good and perfect gift is from above after all! And, as you said, often those "good gifts" are the things that are working together for our good.

Much love!
(We French people are so wordy!)

Laura said...

Mrs. K,

Thanks for your encouraging and insightful words. I always love it when you comment on my blog! :)