Friday, August 22, 2008

what's the difference?

Men and Women are different. Whoa! Big shock! Stop the presses! We have to get this news out and now!

Please. Most of us know that men and women are different. It's not a mystery. However, it is something that American culture tries to suppress and forget about. This suppression results in heartache and confusion for so many people.

Taking time away from school work this week, I began to read John Piper's what's the difference? for the women's book study. This book is amazing. I have only read 2 chapters, and I already feel encouraged and challenged. I must recommend this book to anyone who is confused about the roles for men and women, but also for those of us who need a little encouragement now and then.

Excerpts:
At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature femininity is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nurture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to women's differing relationships.

1 comment:

Kiri said...

Oooh, sounds like a good book! I'll have to try and find it! Not that I have time for any new books at the moment... But that's never stopped me before! :D I've heard good things about John Piper and really enjoyed his wife's book, Treasuring God in Our Traditions.