Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Small Visions


Being a single person comes with so many blessings; it also comes with many trials. Many of us desire to be married, and this desire comes from God. As we ponder our future spouses, certain characters traits, personalities, and convictions cross our minds. Out comes THE LIST. I hope each of you has one. You know the one, right? Well, if you don’t, let me put the idea out there. The List contains 3 subject headers…

1) What he must be – No compromises/Non-negotiable Example: A strong, mature Christian

2) Important - Things that you could technically comprise on belong here… but you would really rather not comprise. Example: Communicational skills, family traditions, where will we live, etc. and

3) Preferences – recognize that you may get NONE of these. :P Example: Taller than I am :)


Looking over my list, I realize that I don’t pray for my future husband (MFH) nearly as often as I should. I hope God will bless me with a man that fulfills all of my “musts” and most of my “importants.” By God’s grace, I seek to fulfill MFH’s list. Items such as “submissive”, “homemaker”, “godly”, “good cook” ;), and “fond of children” all come to mind for his list. As I seek to imitate Christ, my life should grow in grace. And by God’s sovereign Providence, my life should reflect want MFH will want.



As I read over my list, visionary is under “Must be” or “Non-negotiable.” He must have a goal or a plan for what he wants our lives to look like… A desire to pass on his values, goals, and plans down through generations. A man like that is what I want. Okay, so now you’re thinking: “Wow. Doesn’t she know men like that are once in a generation?” I disagree. Men who have a vision can be found. MFH’s vision may not be vast. He may not be a president to millions, a senator for thousands, or a preacher for hundreds. He may not travel to the moon, build great rocket-ships, or discover a cure for cancer. He may not be another Albert Einstein, Edmund Burke, or Robert E. Lee. He may have a small vision. And that’s okay.

"His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'” Matthew 25:23

God gives different talents to different people. Some are gifted with 2 talents, some are gifted with 5 talents, and others are gifted with 1. If MFH has a plan to use his 1 talent to the fullest of his ability to God’s glory, then Praise God from Whom all blessings flow! I should not be greedy or sad because I cannot help a man who is gifted with 5 talents. God has given me the honor and helping a man with 1, and I should rejoice! My father once told me that women have a great power over men. They can build them up or cut them down. He told me that a wife can make an average man become a good one, and she can make a good man into a great man. Not all men will be a William Wilberforce, George Washington, or Prince Albert. Some men are meant to be Indians, and others are meant to be chiefs. If he is my chief, then I’ll help him be whatever God wants him to be. Even if he’s just meant to be the Indian.

The heart of her husband trusts in her,

And he will have no lack of gain.

She does him good and not evil

All the days of her life.

Proverbs 31:11,12

5 comments:

Kiri said...

Good post!

I'm still in the process of reworking my list into the three categories. I love the idea, but I find myself making "Ned" into a dreamy, perfect (Prince Albert!) guy... And then I have to bring myself back down to earth by thinking of all the real men I know and how my list would apply to them... It's an arduous tasks at times and is requiring several drafts and lots of thought and prayer. But I suppose this list will be a continual work in progress until Ned comes and sweeps me off my feet, right?

We should really compare lists at some point. Not that our lists would be the same, but I love getting ideas from you and Keely that are important but I haven't thought of on my own.

Looking forward to Friday!!!

Mrs. K said...

Laura, this is an excellent post. It's a blessing to see so many of the girls in our area aspire to a woman's most worthy purpose! It's not something you'll get praise for from many, but we're behind you!

Kelsie said...

Awesome post, La! Maybe I should start my list, though I've got a few years to go yet before my PC comes along... :o)

Kiri said...

Tee hee hee, Kes! I know you mean Prince Charming by "PC", but it sounds like you're waiting for the *computer* of your dreams to come along! :D

Laura said...

Thanks ladies for all the encouraging comments! I was somewhat hesitant to post this on my blog, but you all have made me very glad that I did!

Kiri - I believe in WIP Ned. :P

Mrs. K - I am so blessed to have your family in my life. :O)

Kes - I am so glad that Kiri explained what PC meant... I'm feeling a little thick! ;)
And PC is probably better than Muff, right?