Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Real Definition of Balk

balk
–verb (used without object)
1. to stop, as at an obstacle, and refuse to proceed or to do something specified (usually fol. by at): He balked at making the speech.
2. (of a horse, mule, etc.) to stop short and stubbornly refuse to go on.
3. Baseball. to commit a balk. –verb (used with object)
4. to place an obstacle in the way of; hinder; thwart: a sudden reversal that balked her hopes.
5. Archaic. to let slip; fail to use: to balk an opportunity. –noun
6. a check or hindrance; defeat; disappointment.
7. a strip of land left unplowed.
8. a crossbeam in the roof of a house that unites and supports the rafters; tie beam.
9. any heavy timber used for building purposes.
10. Baseball. an illegal motion by a pitcher while one or more runners are on base, as a pitch in which there is either an insufficient or too long a pause after the windup or stretch, a pretended throw to first or third base or to the batter with one foot on the pitcher's rubber, etc., resulting in a penalty advancing the runner or runners one base.
11. Billiards. any of the eight panels or compartments lying between the cushions of the table and the balklines.
12. Obsolete. a miss, slip, or failure: to make a balk. —Idiom
13. in balk, inside any of the spaces in back of the balklines on a billiard table.


Yes, Kiri, Keely, and Tricia -- I DID look it up. :P:D

6 comments:

Kiri said...

Oh dear! I think I used it slightly incorrectly! At least you knew what I meant...

Thanks for looking it up!

Laura said...

You did? It sounds find to me. How did you use it incorrectly? (Am I sounding like a dunce?)

Tricia said...

Hahahaha. LOL, Laura. You're hilarious! I was so surprised that it was Calamity Jane (I was convinced it'd be David Copperfield or the Moonstone), that I didn't even thinking of balking. ;) It was really good, by the way!! :D

Laura said...

I am glad you liked it, Tricia! (Now I sound like I gave it to you...) I should borrow it from Kiri to see if I would like it. :P

Tricia said...

You're absolutely welcome to borrow it from me anytime, too, Laura. This morning I had a lovely time folding clothes and re-watching parts! :D

Kiri said...

According to your definition, balking means to refuse to go on. I usually use that meaning of it, but not necessarily with the stopping part. Just the emotion of being put out and wanting to... And I'm not sure this is making much sense, so I'm going to stop trying to explain... We can discuss it tomorrow.

You know, I actually don't own Calamity Jane! I love it, but I rent it from the library. I do own the soundtrack. (Mom's favorite part is "A Woman's Touch" she'd like you to know.) I'm really glad you like it, Tricia!