Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Understanding God's Ways

On Monday morning, my father informed me that my grandfather has prostate cancer. I was shocked and saddened. As Dad and I prayed, I wondered why God allows things like this to happen. I know that sin is in the world, and it has horrible effects, but still I questioned God.

Then I remembered God's words to Job:
"Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Now gird up your loins like a man, and I will ask you and you instruct Me! Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth. Tell Me, if you have understanding, Who set its measurements? Since you know. Or who stretched the line on it? On what were its bases sunk? Or who laid its cornerstone, When the morning starts sang together And all the sons of God shouted for joy? (38:2-7) "Will the faultfinder contend with the Almighty? Let him who reproves God answer it." (40:2) "Will you really annul My judgement? Will you condemn Me that you may be justified? Or do you have an arm like God? And can you thunder with a voice like His?" (40:8-9)

Job's reply was my own:
"Behold, I am insignificant; what can I reply to You? I lay my hand on my mouth. Once I have spoken, and I will not answer; Even twice, and I will add nothing more."(40:4-5) I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know... Therefore I repent in dust and ashes." (42:3,6).

Conclusion:
"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed, Yet from my flesh I shall see God." (19:25-26)

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

5 comments:

Kiri said...

Oh, Laura! Every time my grandfather has a battle with cancer things are so scary and stressful. You and your family will certainly be in our prayers! Do you know how treatable Grandpa Powell's cancer is?

Laura said...

Thankfully, Grandpa's cancer is in the very early stages, and prostate cancer is apparently very treatable. So, my family is very optimistic. We keep praying and trusting the future to God's hands.

Kiri said...

That's good news. I had heard that all men, if they live long enough, experience prostate cancer and that it's usually very treatable.

I'm glad to hear that Grandpa Powell is likely to be around many more years. :)

Ascottishsamurai said...

I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. I know just how difficult it is to watch a loved-one battle with cancer. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Laura said...

Thank you both so much for your prayers!

Ben,
I think praying is all we can do for now... but thanks for asking.