Monday, October 26, 2009

MMW: Modern Marian - Another Side

When I was considering what Marian would look like if she lived now, I immediately jumped to the Sherwood gal we all know and love. Boots. Vests. Full (perhaps even split) skirt for easy movement. It's not hard to picture Marian with a bow, and her Night Watchman identity comes as no surprise. She couldn't sit still and do nothing. But there's another side of her, too. I call it the "castle side." The side of her that is elegant in satin and velvet, where she's girlie and proper. And all in a refined manner that is not overly delicate, but perfectly lovely and ladylike. Bow and dagger are put away for the moment, and her tactics turn to political influence and spying.

After watching Keely, Kelsie, and Laura all capture what I think is the essence of modern Sherwood Marian, I decided to try my hand at her castle side. (Only I didn't have a castle handy for a beautiful backdrop.)



My shimmery satin blouse with glittering buttons was the perfect starting place. Beautiful, yet practical and comfortable, this piece seems so Marian. I paired it with a traditional black gored skirt. Black makes it elegant, and the lines of the gores give it a tailored look while not restricting movement.



Curly locks are pulled back with glittery pearl and faux diamond pins. Not only are they pretty, but one never knows when they'll come in handy for saving Robin... :)



What I'm Wearing:
Satin blouse - Dressbarn
Black tank - Gabes
Black skirt - Christopher and Banks
Strappy, black heels - Target
Pearl bobby pins - Claires
Pearl Flower hair pins - Wal-mart
Glittery, drop earrings - Claires

2 comments:

Laura said...

I don't think I've ever seen that blouse before... It's too cute!!

Kiri said...

Thanks! This is actually the first time I've worn it, which is why you haven't seen it. I found it at the outlet mall over the summer, but as it's a winter blouse it hasn't seen much use. Yet... :)